[graap-wg] Strings, QNames and videotape - or: many ways to skin a cat

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Jul 11 22:43:02 CDT 2006

One comment, Heiko:

I remember now that Globus developers have warned me that handling of
QName simple typed attributes and elements in the Apache Axis stack is
somewhat challenging.  They requested the use of anyURI type instead,
which has about the same level of namespace safety as QNames I
think.

I cannot remember the exact issue, but believe it has to do with the
way the QNames are parsed and the order in which the namespace
prefixes handled. :-( I think we should restrict our use of QNames to
the explicit attribute and element tags we define, and not for use in
field values.

Particularly for places where we use the "ids" to correlate between
fragments of Agreement documents, I think URIs which we treat opaquely
are the way to go.  I think equality matching for URIs is also
well-defined and simple to program.

I agree that descriptive fields, not used for correlation in our base
protocol or agreement semantics, should just be string types.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com