[graap-wg] A Highly available, Fault tolerant Co-scheduling System

Jon MacLaren maclaren at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Oct 24 09:56:33 CDT 2005

Hi Karl,

I guess that ultimately, I don't have a lot of enthusiasm for the
combination you propose in the message.  The messaging in Paxos has
been well thought out.  I don't think layering them on top of the WS-
Agreement call-response pattern would work well (at least it would
not work as well for failure cases - when everything is working it'd
be fine).  Also, it's more messages than are necessary.

The devil, as always is in the details.  Indeed, it's when you
consider the messaging patterns that you see the problems with what
you proposed before about using WS-Agreement between the Acceptors
and RMs.  Although you wouldn't make Paxos inconsistent (this is
impossible), you would raise the chances of the transaction being
needlessly aborted in certain failure modes.

As for mentioning the user, I make no apology for this.  I don't
think that it's "telling" at all.  The protocol we proposed can do
machine-to-machine stuff.  I know this, because I have written
clients for the protocol, and it's very easy.  It should be clear
from the slides I presented that this is the case.  (There is
certainly nothing as complicated as the Template stuff in WS-
Agreement, where a client has to download a template, understand the
format and then construct a document based upon that.)

Cheers,

Jon.