[graap-wg] proposal: agreement lifecycle end-games

Jon MacLaren maclaren at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Mar 23 14:06:21 CST 2005

No, I don't think I've explained it properly.  It's a lot simpler that
your reply suggests.

I didn't say the agreement is a message, which you stated in your
reply.  I said that it should be a document.  There is nothing to stop
me sending a signed document as part of an XML message irrespective of
the message-level/transport-level security stuff.

The user proposes an agreement ("offer" to use the terminology in the
spec.), and sends this as a signed document.  If the respondent agrees,
they sign the agreement too, and send it back.  You do not need to
retain all the messages - just this document, signed by both parties.

Of course proof of agreement is out of scope.  But if you have the
agreement in the form I suggest, at least you give a *basis* on which
people can do this.  The current WS-Agreement specification doesn't do
that.

Jon.