[graap-wg] Fw: Alternative Approach to Templates and Constraints

Heiko Ludwig hludwig at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 22 09:41:40 CDT 2005

Dear GRAAP members,

Karl and I had some email discussion since the Wednesday phone call to
resolve the template issue.

We agreed that both of our more complex proposals are not well enough
throught through at the moment and it would be best to stick to a minimal
solution, going only slightly beyond what we have in the 1 comments round
draft:

- A template contains an offer prototype and the creation contraints.
- Creation constrains contain a set of items, each of which
        -- has a location as an XPath
        -- may have a simpleRestriction (as we had it) or  a complex type
restriction ( because it's easy) or any#other content to be interpreted as
constraint in its domain.

This gives us a good standard template functionality and enough space for
experimental approaches to templates sitting on top of this standard and
potentially being included in the next revision of WS-Agreement.
Furthermore, the proposal is easy to implement.

If you have comments on this speak up now. I will start changing the
schema and text of the spec correspondingly next week.

Heiko

-----
Heiko Ludwig, Dr. rer. pol.
IBM TJ Watson Research Center, PO Box 704, Yorktown, NY, 10598
hludwig at us.ibm.com, tel. +1 914 784 7160,  mob. +1 646 675 8469
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/h/hludwig/

----- Forwarded by Heiko Ludwig/Watson/IBM on 07/22/2005 10:29 AM -----

Karl Czajkowski <karlcz at univa.com>
07/21/2005 11:28 PM

Heiko Ludwig/Watson/IBM at IBMUS
cc

Subject
Re: Alternative Approach to Templates and Constraints

OK.  I also wonder if some experiments might be better off in a separate
RP from template, but I think the extension idea below is reasonable
for "fine tuning" of the model in some domains.

Should the Location be fixed to XPath or handled via extensions,
e.g. make the normative idiom something like

  <wsag:Item>
     <wsag:Location>
        <wsagext:XPath>/some/path/string</wsagext:XPath>
     </Location>

? (I made it wsagext so it could go in an any##other defined in the
wsag namespace.)

karl

On Jul 21, Heiko Ludwig modulated:

--