[graap-wg] Decision Criteria for Comments

Heiko Ludwig hludwig at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 31 17:18:02 CST 2005

Dear GRAAP members,

now, as we started discussing incoming comments, it would be helpful to
have decision-making criteria to streamline discussion. Here is an initial
laundry list to start the discussion:

- Intended scope of the specification (Does a proposal limit or extend the
scope beyond the previous or current consensus of the group?)
- Required effort to change the draft (Do we have to rewrite much?)
- Implementability (Can it be implemented, the current state of the draft
or the proposed change?)
- Does a proposal simplify the specification?
- Does a proposal simplify the application and implementation of the
specification for its intended purpose?
- Does the proposal have impact on current and future work of GRAAP or
another group?
- Does a proposal increase the consistency of the spec or remove an
inconsistency?

Probably, we will have to make trade-offs between different desirable
properties of a proposal in some cases.

Heiko

-----
Heiko Ludwig, Dr. rer. pol.
IBM TJ Watson Research Center, PO Box 704, Yorktown, NY, 10598
hludwig at us.ibm.com, tel. +1 914 784 7160,  mob. +1 646 236 9453
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/h/hludwig/