[graap-wg] termination versus determination

Jon MacLaren maclaren at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Feb 25 11:53:16 CST 2005

 From your list, I think that only c) and d) can work.  a) and b) assume
a lot about when payment occurs, etc.  I'm not sure that it's always
possible to roll things back.

The way that you "get out" of a contract, is by both parties signing
some sort of "amendment" to the contract - case c).

It is possible that there would be some sort of clause pre-written into
some agreements - your case d).  These could be used to handle specific
things like, "if the resource falls over during the execution of your
job, you get any money back, and there's nothing else to happen between
us".  Note that these are not something special - they are simply the
"compensation" clauses that we used to talk about in GESA.

I think you need to able to do c) - to just have d), you need to be
able to predict all the conditions that might arise, which is (of
course) impossible.  (Incidentally, I argued for c) strongly in the
past, when I first saw the "terminate" operation.)

I think that one of the reasons that thinking about this is complicated
is that you have a resource, fronted by a service, to represent the
agreement.  It's a very odd responsibility model - essentially a single
(potentially third) party is trusted for maintaining the definitive
version of the agreement.  I disagree with Karl's statement that the
resource IS the agreement - if this were true, some accident befalling
the resource can eliminate it!

In Grid computing, resources are fallible.  They can disappear.  What
happens when a WS-Agreement resource fails?  Is it equivalent to
contracts disappearing into thin air?  Or do we say that WS-Agreement
resources have to be reliable, and always available?  If so, how is
this achieved?

If the agreement was represented by a signed document, which both
parties had a copy of, then these strange issues about the meaning of
terminating the service would not present themselves.  Both parties
have a responsibility to look after their copy of the agreement...just
like that paper based system which has worked for hundreds of years.

Jon.