[graap-wg] updated draft - symmetry

Jon MacLaren maclaren at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Apr 4 16:10:27 CDT 2005

Hi Karl,

Comments specifically regarding symmetry.  Overall, I think that the
spec needs an example  working through a case where the initiator is
the service provider.  I think that there are still gaps in people's
understanding about this.  Let me know if you need some text - I should
be able to find something I've written-up previously about this type of
thing.

Section 8 (which I think should be put into Section 3 - the section on
how WS-Agreement *works*).

In the 2nd paragraph, you say that "the obligations in the agreement
are not dependent on the initiator being informed of the decision".  If
the initiator is the service provider, bidding for  work, then this
statement cannot be true.  You must learn whether your bid has been
accepted (and also, presumably, receive/retrieve the precise
specification of the work to be done).

Other symmetry-related comments from earlier in the spec.

S1 - P5 - assumption of roles.  I was trying to think of some text to
suggest for this.  But I think that you are in trouble before you get
here.  Reading the first couple of paragraphs again, I think that you
need to state somewhere in there that the "creational offers" (a phrase
which I really don't like!) can be made by either party.

(Incidentally, I still feel, and always have, that there are
obligations on both sides in reality.  The consumer is agreeing to
consume the service, e.g. provide the work in the case of the job
submission example, and also to provide payment of some sort.  I note
that the specification still views that all obligations are on the side
of the service provider.)

S3 - P10.  The other problem with the diagram is that it completely
links the initiator and consumer roles.  I agree with the comment about
removing the factory - I think that this pattern is often not present.

Jon.