[glue-wg] GLUE2.1 draft: request for final discussion and approval

Enol Fernández enol.fernandez at egi.eu
Fri Jun 8 07:59:02 EDT 2018

Dear all,

Reviewing the cloud part of the proposed draft I think we should also
change a bit the references to the hypervisors as these are not normally
exposed at all to the users and even irrelevant for most cases. Instead the
CloucComputingManager should be what is described now as the Cloud
Middleware.

In the "Conceptual Model of the Cloud Computing Service" it is stated:
* An Hypervisor, usual name for Virtual Machine Manager, is a piece of
computer software, firmware or hardware that creates, runs and manages
Virtual Machine
* A Cloud Middleware is a piece of computer software that leverages on
hypervisor virtualization capabilities to provide Virtual Machines
on-demand to final users. The Cloud Middleware may provide not only virtual
servers (namely Infrastructure as a Service feature), but also storage
(Storage as a Service) and other rich services (Platform as a Service,
etc…).

I would turn this into:
* A Cloud Middleware is a piece of computer software that leverages on
hypervisor virtualization capabilities to provide Virtual Machines
on-demand to final users. The Cloud Middleware may provide not only virtual
servers, but also storage and other rich services (e.g. Platform as a
Service).

And then in the CloudComputingManager:
Current text:

The CloudComputingManager class is a specialization of the Manager class
for the computational capability (Virtual Machines) manager. The
CloudComputingManager is responsible for the local control of resources.
The CloudComputingManager layer is not exposed directly to external clients
or to the Virtual Machines themselves.

The Virtual Machine manager is usually referred as Hypervisor, thus a piece
of software, firmware or hardware which creates, runs and manages Virtual
Machines. A Compute Service will usually have only one Compute Manager, but
MAY have more. The class provides aggregated information on controlled
resources, hypervisors limits and also describes local storage extents
accessible to the Virtual Machines.

I propose to just remove the "The Virtual Machine manager is usually
referred as Hypervisor, thus a piece of software, firmware or hardware
which creates, runs and manages Virtual Machines." sentence.

Any other references to hypervisor should be updated.

Regards,

Enol