[glue-wg] GLUE2.1 draft: request for final discussion and approval

Stephen Burke - UKRI STFC stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 1 05:39:17 EDT 2018

glue-wg <glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org> On Behalf Of Alessandro Paolini said:
> over the last months it was discussed with the cloud providers the necessary network attributes to publish in the BDII and we arrived to a good compromise.
> So we would like to discuss with you the latest changes to the draft before getting the approval for implementing the new schema in production.

A few quick comments ...

Generally it would be good to highlight all changes, e.g. new class definitions.

You have new classes called ComputingShareAcceleratorInfo and ComputingManagerAcceleratorInfo - I wonder if it's possible to have a better name than Info, although perhaps you might want to be able to put new information there. Also having two slightly different objects both called Info may be a bit confusing. And you don't need Accelerator in the attribute names, e.g. TotalAcceleratorSlots, it makes them longer and they're scoped by the class name anyway.

In ManagerInfo you have TotalPhysicalAccelerators - why not Logical too? It also isn't clear to me what the relationship is between a card and a slot - for CPUs there is no particular relationship, the OS takes care of scheduling processes to CPUs, but I don't know how GPUs are used.

The relationship between AcceleratorEnvironment and ExecutionEnvironment is *-*, which is complicated to implement and navigate and seems like overkill to me. At least I'd make it *-1 and if you happen to have the same AE info for multiple EEs you just publish the same thing multiple times. I also somewhat wonder if you would really have multiple Accelerator types in one EE, i.e. several different GPU types in a single WN - if not you could just add the attributes to the EE and not have a new class at all. ComputeCapability would be better as an open enumeration if you expect software to be able to use it as a selection key.

I'll look at the Cloud part later.