[glue-wg] ATLAS, GLUE and JSON

Navarro, JP navarro at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 13 14:26:47 EDT 2016

Alan,

Having looked briefly at the DMTF Redfish architecture I notes their scope is to “meet(s) the expectations of Cloud and Web-based IT professionals for scalable platform management”. They describe their data model as "The Redfish model is built for managing systems.”. Looking at their data model and API they are focused on describing real and virtual hardware elements, and performing management operations on those elements.

By contrast, GLUE2 is focused on user facing distributed resource metadata and interfaces to access those resources are out of scope (GLUE2 describes the interfaces, but they are implemented by other tools and specs).

In short:
- GLUE2 focuses on user facing information while Redfish focuses on infrastructure management information
- GLUE2 focuses exclusively on discovery, while Redfish focuses on both discovery and performing actions on infrastructure

While there is some modest overlap (both schemas have a concept of infrastructure location and administrative domains), they are trying to address different problems, IMO.

Does anyone have other opinions on this?

Thanks,

JP