[glue-wg] GLUE WG teleconference, Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Navarro, JP navarro at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 9 13:36:27 EDT 2016

Greetings GLUE WG,

Our next GLUE WG teleconference will be:
: Tuesday, May 17, 2016
: 15:30-17:00 Central Europe, 8:30-10:00 AM US Central

We will try this teleconference and screen sharing tool:
: Web: https://meet.illinois.edu/herrio/V57YV10Q <https://meet.illinois.edu/herrio/V57YV10Q>
:  --> Cancel login dialog, click guest "Sign in here instead", enter name, click "Join the meeting"
: Phone: 1-888-983-3631, International 1-217-332-6338 or 1-312-994-8410
: Conference ID: 6759150

As a fall back we also have:
: Web: https://webconf.vc.dfn.de/ogf-glue-wg/ <https://webconf.vc.dfn.de/ogf-glue-wg/> (Adobe Connect)
: Login as Guest using your real name

Proposed agenda with previous meeting notes from September 2015:

1) Cloud Extensions (45-60 minutes)

Review and discuss Alessandro’s proposed GLUE 2.1 Cloud Extensions

2) LDAP rendering: public comment is closed, discuss next steps (5 minutes)
> Previous:
> The 60 day public comment period started February 20, 2015. There were no public comments.
> See: https://redmine.ogf.org/boards/22/topics/423
>
> Action (JP): Confirm what final edits we need to perform for publication
> Action (Florido, JP): Complete final edits by early October and submit
> Action (JP): Submit final document for publication

3) JSON rendering: continue rendering discussions, discuss next steps (5 minutes)
> Previous:
> The 60 day public comment period started May 31, 2015. There were no public comments.
> See: https://redmine.ogf.org/boards/25/topics/427
>
> Action (JP): Confirm what final edits we need to perform for publication
> Action (JP): Complete final edits by early October and submit
> Action (JP): Submit final document for publication
> Previous action (Shiraz): volunteered to upgrade Warren's bindings to Maven

4) Enumerations: changes (10 minutes)
> Previous:

> a) Most of the enumerations contained in GFD.147 are missing from git-hub CSV files. They should be added. This
> is kind of a monkey job.
>
> b) InterfaceName_t and Capability_t are the ones Florido and David (and every GLUE2-supported software developer in the world) should discuss. The problem is that services like GOCDB created their own names and single software created their own and sometimes they clash, i.e. an Endpoint has different OpenEmumerations representing the same thing on different systems. We should keep one of each and mark Recommended and Deprecated.
> Florido once made a list of those that should be summarized, here:
>  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zuEiCP-0mQVJWOCGWxnKJ5p9vetLMIfN_AwFvoLDdEs/edit?usp=sharing
>
> c) Some enumerations are hard to keep track of. Examples are operating system names, versions, distributions. It is not clear how a new operating system should be mapped to its GLUE2 equivalent. Neither is clear who should collect and diffuse this information: the GLUE2 group or the users?
>
> d) There is an ongoing debate on how to represent protocols in general. In practice the use case is on the storage elements. They want to put such information in the InterfaceName. I would rather prefer to have it in Capabilities. Either way we will have a plethora of possible combinations of interfacenames and capabilities. E.g. a storage element that can understand three protocols should have either three Endpoints with different interfacenames for each protocol or a list of capabilities for each transfer capability and protocol. Example:
>
> Option 1) Using InterfaceNames
> StorageService
> 3 Endpoints:
>   myendpoint.http