[glue-wg] Cloud extensions

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Tue Sep 1 10:39:32 EDT 2015

Hi all,

A correction to what JP said and a few comments about GLUE2 adoption and
its use for integration:

On 2015-08-28 15:16, navarro wrote:
> Alan,
>
> BDII is an implementation based on a (I believe) old standard: GLUE
> 1.2.

BDII runs fully all glue schemas, including GLUE2.

> I don’t think it really matters what implementation anyone uses
> and whether internally it is standards based. The important question
> is whether they have interoperability requirements, and if so whether
> they use (GLUE) standards for interoperability. In other words, do
> they have an interoperability interface in their implementation.
>
> I don’t know if they have interoperability requirements, and if they
> do how they will satisfy them. I am curious and have contacts in OSG
> so I will try to find answers.

I think the question is whether GLUE managed to foster such
interoperability or not. BDII is LDAP based and pros and cons have been
discussed in this mailing list before. I believe OSG just wants to drop
that technology, but doesn't really need Glue in general. The claim I've
heard in meetings is that they explicitly do NOT want to migrate to
GLUE2, so I guess they don't even need the schema.

As for interoperability, the only existing interoperable systems based
on GLUE2 I know are dCache, BDII, ARC and GOCDB to some extent. However,
GLUE2 does not define aggregation, which makes interoperability loosely
defined.

I am following the discussions in a working group at CERN about the next
generation information system (read: for CERN experiments) and GLUE2 is
rarely mentioned there. Some of the concepts also fail to be defined in
GLUE2 without a different interpretation of some of the attributes,
which actually takes us far from integration.
Remember the discussion on how to identify a data transfer protocol on
this mailing list? We even failed to have an agreement here....