[glue-wg] Multicore related information in GLUE 2

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Sun Oct 18 05:45:45 EDT 2015

glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Maria Alandes Pradillo said:
> Are there any attributes in GLUE 2 describing multicore related information?

The model we ended up with describes execution slots rather than cores per se, i.e. GLUE itself doesn't say what hardware resources a slot corresponds to, but a profile could. However the expectation is that a slot will usually correspond to one core (or hyperthread) as that has been the traditional way to configure batch systems. A batch job can then be either single-slot or multi-slot - the assumption is that each job will specify a fixed number of slots and the scheduler will manage a fixed pool of slots, distributed in some way over the WNs. Whether that's sufficient for WLCG usage I don't know - what information do you think is required? When the schema was defined the ideas were based on MPI-type jobs which may be somewhat different.

> Is there a way in GLUE 2 to specify whether a queue has access to multicore resources?

The Share has a MaxSlotsPerjob attribute, so if that's > 1 it allows multislot jobs up to that limit. I'm not sure if that attribute is correctly published at the moment, but there was an MPI working group in EGI (possibly there still is) which tried to get sites correctly configured for their purposes.