[glue-wg] OSG dropping GLUE?

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Fri May 8 04:27:53 EDT 2015

Hi Maarten,

On 08/05/15 02:03, Maarten.Litmaath at cern.ch wrote:
>> Does anyone know if OSG are planning to drop support for publishing WLCG
>> information via GLUE?
>
> They will not be able to do such a thing very soon AFAIK, as ATLAS, CMS and
> the WLCG project still have dependencies on the classic info system, even if
> only to bootstrap various private or derived info systems.

That was certainly my impression, too.

> OTOH, OSG have managed to hold off GLUE-2 because none of those stakeholders
> made a strong case for it so far...
>
>> I opened a GGUS ticket describing how some site-level information was wrongly
>> formatted and the ticket was closed as WONT_FIX with the comment that "OSG is
>> deprecating the BDII".
>
> Even if it were true for the long run, it does not mean they can get away
> with publishing junk already today.  However, to get some problem fixed,
> it may need to be seen as an issue for one of those same stakeholders...

I vaguely remember OSG planning to move towards their own internal
information system.  I imagine this would have some kind of bridge that
would translate this system into GLUE 1.3, acting as a site-level BDII
for the entire OSG.  However, I could have this wrong.

That all said, I absolutely agree that they are using BDII now; even if
they are planning to move away from it.  In any case, they shouldn't
publish broken values and should fix problems when they are pointed out.

As usual, just my 2c worth :)

Cheers,

Paul.