[glue-wg] Fwd: Re: New attribute for GLUE 2.1: StorageShare.ViewID

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 26 10:59:10 EDT 2014

Maria Alandes Pradillo [mailto:Maria.Alandes.Pradillo at cern.ch] said:
> Well, it´s very explicit. Sites need to manually send their installed capacities
> every month using the REBUS reporting feature to be able to generate the
> WLCG accounting reports. They don´t use the BDII for this and they are not
> planning to use it.

Providing the numbers manually every month sounds quite labour-intensive - if we could show that a simple query would reliably produce the information automatically it seems hard to believe that people wouldn't prefer to use it. But anyway, the question of whether we have current uses for information isn't really the right argument - we have many attributes which aren't used at the moment. The question is whether the information is potentially useful - changing the schema is so slow and infrequent that we need to look at possibilities a long way in the future. Adding one new attribute is a rather lightweight thing to do so I don't think it needs a very strong justification. What we do need to be sure of is that the attribute is well-defined, satisfies the identified use-case and would not disrupt the existing usage.