[glue-wg] Fwd: Re: New attribute for GLUE 2.1: StorageShare.ViewID

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 26 10:36:48 EDT 2014

Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
> The ViewID is aimed exactly at fixing this: I give all the physical
> shares the same ViewID ("physical" say) and all the SRM shares the same
> ViewID ("srm-reservations", say) and then it's easy to select the
> Physical shares.

Hmm ... calling this an ID suggests that it should just be an opaque identifier, but your values seem to have some semantics - are you sure this shouldn't be an enumerated type? More generally: having it as an internally generated identifier is useful if the number of possible values is large or undefined, or where you want the values to be defined by the implementation or even an instance. However, your example seems to have only two cases with rather well-defined semantics, basically physical and logical. On top of that it seems that clients would need to know the semantics to use the information, which means the values would need to be defined, or else the semantics would have to be deducible in some indirect way - which is what you were objecting to with the CapacityType ...