[glue-wg] glue2 cloud examples

Salvatore Pinto salvatore.pinto at egi.eu
Tue May 6 10:16:26 EDT 2014

Hi All,
here my comments to be discussed in today's teleconferece.

Cloud Profile for GLUE 2.0
   Advantages:
     * No need to update the implementation.
     * No need to manage two separate group of entities.
   Disadvantages:
     * Big usage of extended attributes to represent all the needed
additional attributes and many attributes are not needed. Eg. you add
around 3-4 new attributes to each entities and you do not use more than
10 in average.
     * Some attributes names from the implementation
(ApplicationEnvironment, ExecutionEnvironment) will not be
self-explanatory and user will always need to read the profile to
understand the meaning of the implementation.

GLUE 2.1
   Advantages:
     * Possibility to represent a different conceptual model, where the
OS images (application environment) are directly linked to the VM
(computing activity) and to the Share (Computing Share) so to the
Policies (VM can be private and started only to a given share associated
to given VOs)
     * Easier extension to future non-IaaS computing services (with its
own set of resources, you can edit them without messing with the Grid
entities)
   Disadvantages:
     * Need to update the implementation, adding the new cloud entities.
     * Cloud and Grid are seen separated, not as an unique computing
resource.

Cheers,
   Salvatore.

--
Salvatore Pinto
Cloud Technologist, EGI.eu
e-mail: salvatore.pinto at egi.eu
skype: salvatore.pinto0
Science Park 140, Amsterdam, The Netherlands