[glue-wg] glue2 cloud examples

Salvatore Pinto salvatore.pinto at egi.eu
Fri May 2 10:57:26 EDT 2014

Hi Warren,
I had a look at your examples and I have some comment:
   * It seems you are missing the information about the resource
templates (OpenStack Flavors), aren't you using these?
   * Does the user really need the information about the physical node
or is this only for administrators and other operational activities? If
not, maybe the ExecutionEnvironment can be used to represent the
OpenStack falvors.
   * I see you are using the ApplicationHandle to represent the image
identifier, in my first tests I was thinking of using the EntityName for
that, since it seems not needed to involved another entity and
ApplicationHandle description is related to methods to setup the
environment, so maybe more related to Cloud contextualization methods...

Beside this particular comments, in general, what I see as reasons for
updating GLUE are:
  1. Cloud and Grid have different provisioning concepts. Of course,
they both offer "Computing resources as a Service", but the overall
provisioning concept of Jobs, Wallclock and Queues does not apply to the
Cloud IaaS, where provisioning is more flexible and related only to
Quotas per user.
  2. Cloud is an environment with many services interconnected together
and IaaS is the baseline for most of them. So if, in the future, we want
to represent other services (like PaaS, iPaaS, VREaaS, LBaaS, and all
the other aaS in the world :) ), with their interconnection to the IaaS,
I think it could be better to have Cloud IaaS as a new separated set of
entities.
  3. Since the specification are quite Grid specific, the application to
Cloud is subject to "interpretation". For example, to enable BDII in EGI
Federated Cloud until the new specification comes out, we are using the
old GLUE2.0 schema, but with a different interpretation of the entities
than yours (eg. we are using the Execution Environment as VM
flavours/resource templates). The fact that two people reading
separately the specification interpreted them differently is a fault in
the specifications, who needs to ensure interoperability.

Cheers,
   Salvatore.