[glue-wg] New Endpoint and Service types

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Tue Mar 25 07:00:32 EDT 2014

Hi Paul,

After reading all the discussion with Stephen, I am convinced of one thing:

On 2014-03-06 11:35, Paul Millar wrote:
> Hi Florido,
>
> [...]
>
> Capability is better; however, the OGSA definitions are (currently)
> higher-level functionality; they don't (currently) specify which
> protocol the endpoint supports.
>
> Additional definitions could be added but I'm not sure this is the
> correct approach.

This is the only correct approach, despite what OGSA definitions are. If
Capabilities are open enumerations, we're free to set another route, and
create specific ones for protocol.

Every other solution is cumbersome and complex in my opinion-- and the
amount of email exchanges tells.

And it also solves the problem you mentioned later:

>> This http there is a very misleading thing --
>> in short, so how is an information consumer supposed to infer that
>> endpoint supports webdav??
>
> Easy, if they want WebDAV, they search for an endpoint that supports the webdav profile (however that is specified).
>
>> I think we should simply add webdav.
>
> Consider a single endpoint that supports HTTP, WebDAV, CDMI, HTTP-3rd-party-copy, RFC-3230, CalDAV, CardDAV and GroupDAV.
>
> If we follow this approach this endpoint must be published 8 times!
>
> There are any number of extensions, based on HTTP.  I don't think it scales to publish each one as a new object, duplicating almost all of the information.

the above means that publishing http (or any other value in the
Protocol) is the minimum common protocol that tells nothing about the
features of the endpoint. Whatever we put there will always be half the
truth.

So if we think is wise to keep the minimum common protocol in the
protocol attribute, we must have other standard means of exposing features.

Your proposed approach using profile I don't like, because it mainly
applies to web services IMHO.

I vote for creating better Capabilities.

Cheers,
Florido
 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Location: Fysikum, Hus B, Rum B313
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli