[glue-wg] New Endpoint and Service types

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Wed Mar 5 10:43:07 EST 2014

Hi Maria,

my thoughs inline

On 2014-03-05 13:22, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Maria Alandes Pradillo [mailto:Maria.Alandes.Pradillo at cern.ch] said:
>> On behalf of the DPM team, could you please also consider adding:
>
> I think these do need some more discussion ...
>
>> - "DPM" to ServiceType

isn't it possible to assign an organization do DPM? I know nothing about it.

org.<organizationname>.dpm?

I would actually love everything lowercase, but people seems to like
case... :(

> It isn't clear to me that DPM is a distinctive type - as far as I know it only implements standard interfaces like SRM and xroot, so why is it a different type of service to, say, dcache? What would you propose as a definition? DPM as a product name is published elsewhere. I think we probably need a type name that would be common between, say, DPM, dcache and Castor since they provide basically the same functionality.
>
>> - "org.webdav" and "org.xrootd" to InterfaceName
>
> xroot has already been discussed extensively and we made a decision - I think the decision was to use "xroot" for the protocol name but we should check.
>
> For webdav I think the "org." prefix isn't adding much here - probably we should just use "webdav" as it's a well-known protocol defined in an RFC so there's no issue of a name clash, but there may be other views. Anyway there are likely to be other interested parties - dcache at least - who should express a view.

I agree with Stephen, if there is no organization it doens't make sense
to have 'org.' there. If it's a simple standard webdav interface, it's
perfect to have only webdav there.

But I also wonder what is the type of such interfacenames -- it seems to
me that these two should be in Endpoint.Technology instead. The name of
the interface should be something like
org.<organizationname>.webdavenhanced if it's not just plain webdav

If that is not enough then you should look into capabilities for EMI-ES
and craft proper ones, like:

  data.transfer.xrootd
  data.transfer.webdav

 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Location: Fysikum, Hus B, Rum B313
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli