[glue-wg] glue2 cloud examples

Salvatore Pinto salvatore.pinto at egi.eu
Tue Jun 17 09:11:49 EDT 2014

(Hi Warren,
replies inline...

On 17/06/2014 03:00, Warren Smith wrote:

> Another disadvantage of adding new cloud entities to the model is that new renderings would also need to be defined.
>

> Comments on your points:
>
> * I've only had to use a couple extensions to represent clouds in the current GLUE2. I've used a few extensions to represent clusters, too (see https://github.com/OGF-GLUE/JSON/tree/master/examples). So, without some examples showing that a lot of extensions are needed, I don't agree with that point.
you are right, without examples it is difficult to make a decision. I
have compared your implementations of JSON rendering for
Compute_OpenStack with my 2.1 cloud entities and I come up with the
attached draft of "profile". Considering the number of original
attributes not used and the number of extensions, in my opinion, since
most of the old attributes are not used and there are quite a few
extensions to be added, there is a rational for defining new entities...

> * I don't think the GLUE2 entity names are self-explanatory in general - I always have to explain what they mean to new users. I don't think this is much worse for a cloud infrastructure than for a cluster or grid.
for me users with a basic knowledge of Grid computing should understand
the meaning, of course this is not valid for all the users, what I was
saying is that users with basic knowledge of Cloud computing would
probably not be able to understand all the meaning of the profiled
attributes without reading the doc...
> * I don't quite follow the first advantage you list under "GLUE 2.1". In GLUE 2.0, ComputingActivity (instance) has a RequestedApplicationEnvironment attribute (image). ComputingActivity also has a Share association (inherited from Activity), but I'm not sure what a Share represents here.
a share in my view represented a zone (or sub site), like "Amazon Asia
Pacific Site", with related quota, resources and templates associated

> Warren
Cheers,
   Salvatore.

--
Salvatore Pinto
Cloud Technologist, EGI.eu
e-mail: salvatore.pinto at egi.eu
skype: salvatore.pinto0
Science Park 140, Amsterdam, The Netherlands