[glue-wg] GLUE WG teleconference, Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Tue Jun 3 03:27:21 EDT 2014

Hi Stephen, all

On 2014-06-02 18:50, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> [...]
>
> Looking at Florido's last mail, I have a problem with this comment:
>
> "1) ABSTRACT classes to be in sync with XML realisation: Objects like
> Entity, Resource, Share, Policy have been declared ABSTRACT to be in
> sync with the XML schema. This means these cannot be instantiated as
> is; only their specialization can (i.e. Computing- Storage- or others
> like Benchmark etc.) are objects that can be published."
>
> That seems to contradict a statement in the last version of the
> rendering document that I've seen:
>
> *	All classes deriving from Entity will be of type "Structural".

I think you're right. I can change everything back to structural again.
I think my overdoing was due to a mix of the ABSTRACT and STRUCTURAL in
the previous schema.

> It was a deliberate decision for LDAP that at least Resource, Share,
> Manager and Activity should be instantiable to allow prototyping new
> classes, given the difficulty in craeting and deploying a new version
> of the schema.

This is not really true, by declaring them abstract one forces a person
to extend these classes and not change anything inside them. Even though
they are abstract they can be used the same way we do with
ComputingShare etc.

> Previous versions of the document had some explicit
> text to explain that, and I don't think we ever discussed a change to
> that.

You're right. To avoid further discussion which I think is of no use now
I will just revert everything back to STRUCTURAL.

> For those classes there is no fundamental reason that they
> should not be instantiable, it's just that the base classes have no
> attributes and hence aren't useful in themselves, but you can still
> usefully add Extensions to prototype new attributes. By contrast
> there isn't likely to be any use in having Policy and Domain be
> instantiable, but equally it would do no particular harm.

I agree. But let's stick to the document as you suggested.

Sorry about that. I'll try to fix it before the meeting starts.

Cheers,
Florido
 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Location: Fysikum, Hus B, Rum B313
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli