[glue-wg] New Endpoint and Service types

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 14 07:45:46 EST 2014

glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On
> Behalf Of Florido Paganelli said:
> Adding these values for me would be easy. The problem is that the group
> didn't decide a procedure to _approve_ them to make them _official_,
> mostly because I promised I would propose one but I never did.

This should be a lightweight process - the main point is to record the values which are in use. In general there's no problem with adding new types on request; the only issues to consider are:

1) Namespace - if it uses a DNS-style name does the requestor reasonably justify relating it to that domain, i.e. do they speak for the relevant project or is it clearly related to a standard service provided by the project.

2) Checking that we don't already have something suitable in the existing list.

3) Sanity checking that the value is naming something that matches the conceptual purpose of the enumeration.

I don't see any reason that can't be done quickly with an email vote. Anyway the worst case is that you end up with an unsuitable value which has to be changed later, and that will generally only cause problems for whoever requested it.

In this particular case I don't see any problem with the QCG-specific names, QCG is a well-defined project so we can assume they know what they're doing, or will sort out their own problems if they don't. org.oasis.notification is more general so it would be useful if someone could do a quick check that it makes sense - personally I know nothing about it.