[glue-wg] Enumerations for DPM and related InterfaceNames was: Re: New Endpoint and Service types

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Fri Apr 4 06:04:49 EDT 2014

Hi Maria, all

I am coming back to this discussion because during the last GLUE2 group
meeting we agreed on some proposals. Could you please send these back to
developers?

Answers inline.

On 2014-03-05 09:44, Maria Alandes Pradillo wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> On behalf of the DPM team, could you please also consider adding:
>
> - "DPM" to ServiceType

the group would like to have an organization name. It has beed decided
that if there is no organization name, then one can fallback to the
group reserver organization name, that can be used for orphan projects.

therefore we suggest:

  org.ogf.glue.dpm

What do people think about this?

> - "org.webdav" and "org.xrootd" to InterfaceName

This I completely fail to understand.

webdav and xrootd are protocol names. Why would they be interfacenames?
An interface name is an "identification of the Interface" as GDF.147
says. org. is not an organization.

now, we have dCache publishing:
   xroot
as interface name, which I think is as bad as the above.

This needs severe sanitization. Would be better to have some
organization name there. So since it seems people likes to confuse
concepts like protocol and interfacename, I might suggest something to
come towards this confusion trying to clean it up.

My suggestion for these two InterfaceNames would be:

  org.ogf.glue.dpm.webdav
  org.ogf.glue.dpm.xrootd

What about these above? I feel they make more sense.

How they can be used in discovery I already said in several emails.
InterfaceName should NOT be used to indentify the protocol or the
cababilities. For that there is existing attributes.

Moreover, I'd like to have some description for each of these values.

Once we decide on these we can go for further approval.

Cheers,
Florido