[glue-wg] How to finalize the LDAP draft was Re: No audio

JP Navarro navarro at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 24 15:27:56 EDT 2013

On Sep 23, 2013, at 1:44 PM, Florido Paganelli <florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se> wrote:

> Mh, ok. Allow me to be extremely polemic here. I had high hopes for
> GLUE2 to be a poweful interoperability tool for GRIDs. But after all
> these discussion I am more and more convinced that we are heading for a
> big fail, with a plethora of redefinitions of things that one has to
> read to be interoperable.

This seems like a well organized small set of documents me. Only the first three involve OGF.

1) GLUE Specification v. 2.0 (rendering independent data model)
2) GLUE 2 LDAP Rendering Specification
3) Community Practice/Profile Document(s)
4) Infrastructure specific implementation documentation (EGI/XSEDE/etc...)

In my opinion, 1) and 2) are huge steps towards interoperability.  Are they 100% correct and do they describe every detail necessary to have an interoperable infrastructure?  Most likely not.  We shouldn't throw away "the good" because we don't have "the perfect".

In my view, the fact that both EGI and XSEDE are leveraging GLUE 2 means we already have two successes. Certainly there is more work and more successes to come.

JP