[glue-wg] How to finalize the LDAP draft was Re: No audio

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Mon Sep 23 13:44:52 EDT 2013

Hi JP,

On 2013-09-23 18:17, JP Navarro wrote:
> Florido,
>
>> Trying to shorten this quite painful process, we reasoned with
>> Balazs and we have a proposal. Looking at the document structure,
>> we can move the DIT proposal in an appendix, as "Examples of
>> existing implementations".
>
> OGF has profile and community practice document types that are better
> suited to hold examples.

I'll have a look at that, thanks.

>> As a side note, where do we store meeting's presentations?
>
> http://redmine.ogf.org/dmsf/glue-wg?folder_id=4

I didn't mean OGF slides, these I know, I meant all the other meetings,
i.e. various phone meetings and such.

>> Therefore I'd like to present my slides as well, to give a hint of
>> what others than gLite did, and argument a little about the issues
>> we faced during integration (already presented in 21st of May 2013
>> presentation)
>
> You could present after Stephen finishes his presentation and we
> finish discussing his material.

Perfectly OK, these were meant as a follow-up

>> It is no point in my opinion to proceed like this. Instead, I know
>> the answer to this question for each of the changes in the LDAP
>> document. I can explain who-benefits-of-what on the fly while we
>> revise the document.
>
> First we need to agree that the purpose of the specification is to
> enable "discovery interoperability" for users and the software they
> use.

"For users" -- at this point I must say I don't understand the concept
of "users" the group have. I must have misunderstood this when I started
co-operating, clearly. As I understand better these concepts my mood wrt
contributions is changing.

> Second, we need to agree that to enable "glue 2 aggregation across
> publishers" we need a profile or community practice document. EGI,
> NorduGrid, and others may define different profiles..

Mh, ok. Allow me to be extremely polemic here. I had high hopes for
GLUE2 to be a poweful interoperability tool for GRIDs. But after all
these discussion I am more and more convinced that we are heading for a
big fail, with a plethora of redefinitions of things that one has to
read to be interoperable.

If we ever wanted to keep it easy, we failed somewhere along the way, IMHO.

Let's fix this LDAP thing soon then.

Regards,
Florido