[glue-wg] New types

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Tue Jul 23 04:17:44 EDT 2013

Sorry for double posting, I sent only to Stephen by mistake.

On 2013-07-22 19:05, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Florido Paganelli [mailto:florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se] said:
>>> but nevertheless we have to publish something, it's a mandatory
>>> attribute.
>>
>> please let's not do this.
>
> We have already done it (five years ago), the schema is what it is. There is no point in discussing this, and I don't intend to waste my time on doing so.
>
> Stephen

Correct me if I am wrong, but the concept of Service came later in
Glue1. You did that for Glue1 5 years ago.

I think is bad choice.

It's not a waste of time and I feel a bit offended by such comment.

It's actually a useless duplication of information to have both Service
and Endpoint reporting the same string as ServiceType and IntefaceName,
unless these services are completely decoupled and independent.

We should *really* think what we want to represent with these concepts.
I expressed my views in the previous email.
Just to remind text in the GFD147:

  "The Service class enables unique identification of instances of these
concepts [Endpoints and the other entities] participating in the
provision of some *unified* capability."

I don't know the globus technology so well, but I have the feeling these
Endpoint provide some *unified* capability and should be tied together
by a single Service.

I am a newbie, please give me a description of these services and we'll
discuss. The strings alone have no meaning to me.

Regards,
Florido
 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - EMI Project
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli