[glue-wg] New types

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Mon Jul 22 12:49:46 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-22 18:29, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On
>> Behalf Of Florido Paganelli said: My only concern is that these
>> names should come from implementor of the services/interfaces, not
>> from users. Did the IGE project developed these services by
>> themselves, or it's globus services?
>
> IGE are developers, not users (Initiative for Globus in Europe, now
> called something else I think):
>
> http://www.ige-project.eu/
>
>> also a serviceType org.globus.gsissh sounds very weird to me. All
>> in all this repetition of names between Services and InterfaceNames
>> makes me think we have no common understanding of the concepts.
>
> I don't think we do have a clear understanding of the ServiceType,

We created this. We must have.

> but nevertheless we have to publish something, it's a mandatory
> attribute.

please let's not do this. This will lead to a plethora of Services and
Endpoint names we will never manage consistently.

> For Services which only have one type of Endpoint, copying
> the InterfaceName seems the simplest solution.

In my opinion a "Service" is some piece of software or a collection of
software packages providing functionalities in the form of Endpoints.

One should ask herself: what is "running" my Endpoint?

I think it the other way around: first comes the service, then the
endpoint. Service is what you can do, Endpoint is how you do it

>> Here it seems there is a 1 to 1 relationship between Service and
>> Endpoint. Is it so? Service for me is some kind of grouping of
>> endpoints dedicated to to something, that's why we have
>> ComputingService and StorageService.
>
> The structure of the schema is that an Endpoint must have an
> associated Service, so we have to publish it like that even if there
> is only a single Endpoint (as is quite often the case).

Ok, so what is running such endpoints? are they run inside the same
"container" or they are independent pieces of software?

>> Moreover, we should only accept Open Enumerations that come with a
>> description. Can they provide such a thing?
>
> I assume Tilo can do that, although gram and gsissh are well-known.

Yes but before that we should make up our mind , don't you think so?
We should be able to give directions about descriptions.

Regards,
Florido
 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - EMI Project
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli