[glue-wg] Extending GLUE 2.0 for Cloud services

Salvatore Pinto salvatore.pinto at egi.eu
Tue Dec 3 03:29:17 EST 2013

Hi Florido,
inline my answers.

On 05/11/2013 17:46, Florido Paganelli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had no time to read the document yet, but here's some comments at a
> first glance on these proposed changes.
>
> On 2013-11-05 13:49, Salvatore Pinto wrote:
>> Hi Stephen,
>> yes, replacing "files" with "data object" in the text it is fine,
>> but, in my opinion, we should also perform the following changes:
>>
>> * Add to StorageEndpoint element the following attribute:
>>
>> SupportedObjects
>>

>> CloudStorageT_t
>>

>> *
>>

>> Supported data object formats (ex. Image disks, files, generic
>> objects, etc...)
>>
>> . For the use is important to know which kind of storage the service
>> provides, if it is storage for files, disk images, EBS attached
>> storage, etc...
>
> It's bad design to add one more attribute for this purpose I think.
> The question "what kind of storage is provided" should be answered by
> looking at
> capabilities. I think capabilities are the key thing to know "what a
> service does" or "what an endpoint does". Moreover, since they are
> open enumerations, one can use all his/her fantasy to make them mean
> whatever they're targeted, and it's very much extensible.
>
> Examples:
> data.management.diskimage
> data.management.file
> data.management.genericobject
>
> if you don't like 'management' you can change it to some other thing,
> but I feel it fits...
> something like 'data.supportedobject.diskimage'

agreed, the Capabilities field is probably the best for that.
>> * Add to StorageShare the following attributes:
>>
>> MaxObjectSize
>>

>> UInt64
>>

>> 0..1
>>

>> MB
>>

>> Maximum size of a data object who can be stored in this share
>>
>> MinObjectSize
>>

>> UInt64
>>

>> 0..1
>>

>> MB
>>

>> Minimum size of a data object who can be stored in this share
>>
>> This is very important for the user (especially for EBS storage,
>> where the storage object is a disk attached to a VM) to choose which
>> storage service is better for their need and for the authomatic
>> systems to perform auto-scaling of the storage.
>>
> I can see the benefit of these attributes. However, maybe the best
> place where to put these two attributes is StorageShareCapacity and
> not StorageShare.

I think Stephen said that these attributes were already in GLUE 1.3 . I
checked the old specification and the parameters were in the StorageArea
entity, which I think is now the StorageShare, that's why I placed them
there.
> Cheers,
> Florido
>

> --
>   Florido Paganelli
>     ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
>     System Administrator
>   Lund University
>   Department of Physics
>   Division of Particle Physics
>   BOX118
>   221 00 Lund
>   Office Tel: 046-2220272
>   Email:florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
>   Homepage:http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli

   Salvatore.

--
Salvatore Pinto
Cloud Technologist, EGI.eu
e-mail:salvatore.pinto at egi.eu
skype: salvatore.pinto0
Science Park 140, Amsterdam, The Netherlands