[glue-wg] Summary of changes in LDAP GLUE2 rendering as requested in last meeting

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Mon Sep 17 08:33:06 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Here is the requested summary for the latest changes in the LDAP
Realization draft.
(see meeting notes
http://redmine.ogf.org/projects/glue-wg/wiki/29_August_2012)
We really would like to progress with this document and reach an
agreement for the document ready to be submitted to the ogf procedure in
one month.

The LDAP document was tracked for changes to the purpose of making it
easy to check differences between previous versions.

Version 6.0:  http://redmine.ogf.org/dmsf_files/123?download=264

The document also contains open questions that we would like the group
to discuss. These are recorded as comments in the draft.

We strongly recommend to go through all the changes and give feedback if
some of the changes is questionable. Below we list the major structural
modifications:

C1) Rewrite of Section 3.7: Directory Information Tree
The old document contained a proposed DIT that was incomplete and not
followed by any of the actual implementations. We almost completely
rewrote the section on DIT, introduced three-level information
structuring and provided three detailed pictures that correspond to
actual implementation apart from minor proposed changes.
This is the section that actually contains most of the changes and
should be read.

C2) Section 3.5 Datatypes
We corrected the datatypes to match the current LDAP schema used by EMI.

C3) All over the document: followed the RFC4512 terminology, e.g.
renamed "ldap objects" to "ldap entries".

The following open questions arised during the review, and we would like
the group to discuss them:

Q1) Section 3.4, Object Class types and Inheritance
Choice of structural/auxiliary should be revised.
Seems too restrictive to allow only the first child of the Entity to be
structural.
For example: ComputingService is not structural.

Q2) Section 3.4, Object Class types and Inheritance
The strange and complex choice on the LDAP attribute names selected to
form DNs is not motivated and explained.
We would like to discuss a major simplification that makes
implementation straightforward.
For example, What is the benefit not to have GLUE2Endpoint instead of
GLUE2ComputingEndpointID or GLUE2ServiceID instead of
GLUE2StorageServiceID, while all the less important entities such as
Benchmark have their own GLUE2BenchmarkID?

Q3) Section 3.8, OID assignments
The used OID allocation mechanism is not extensible when it comes to
adding attributes to entry. Furthermore, the choice is strange, it is
not applied consistently and its benefits are unclear.
Explaining this in a email is not easy, one really needs to read the
section and come back for discussion.

Regards,
--
Florido Paganelli