[glue-wg] flat xml rendering

Warren Smith wsmith at tacc.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 31 09:48:06 EDT 2012

My general opinion is not to have any -ies elements (e.g. ComputingActivities) to group elements. To me, this grouping of elements (e.g. ComputingActivity) isn't needed in XML. It doesn't seem to make it any easier to process the XML using SAX or DOM. It seems easy to find all -y elements in a document without a -ies element as a parent for visualizing. Similarly, it also seems easy to find -y elements in an XML document if you want to translate it to LDAP or SQL or whatever.

I haven't really done much xPath... Can someone explain how grouping elements would help? It seems like either way you'd include 'ComputingActivity' in the expression. That is the expression would start with "/Entities/ComputingActivities/ComputingActivity..." or "/Entities/ComputingActivity...".

Warren