[glue-wg] Endpoints and ComputingService, relationships between services. Some thoughs

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Aug 20 09:34:48 EDT 2012

Florido Paganelli [mailto:florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se] said:
> Well at the beginning I was publishing the Execution Service as a
> ComputingService separated from the Information Service as a plain
> Service.
>
> In the same box I had
> - ComputingService
> - Service (ldap information endpoints)

Your particular example is not applicable to the current BDII architecture - we *don't* publish resource BDIIs, they are just internal services inside the site. Only the site BDII is published as an externally visible service, containing all the information for all services at the site. But anyway the "same host" part is not directly relevant - resource BDIIs usually run on the service node but that isn't a requirement, they can run anywhere as long as they can collect the information to publish.

> But then if one pushes these records in an endpoint index such as EMIR,
> that contains the full GLUE2 Service/ComputingServce and
> Endpoint/ComputingEndpoint records, a client gathering these records
> needs to understand that these services are running on the same
> machine, or at least that one information service will ONLY serve
> information about a single execution service.

As I've said in other mails, this needs to be driven by the practical use cases, you need to work out specifically what you need to do in a particular situation and then publish enough information to make it possible. There is no "right answer" to any of these questions (although there may be wrong answers!).