[glue-wg] Endpoints and ComputingService, relationships between services. Some thoughs

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Mon Aug 20 08:43:47 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-20 12:58, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On
>> Behalf Of Florido Paganelli said: I am in the situation that I
>> would like to have a simple Endpoint published within a
>> ComputingService. However, besides UML inheritance might allow
>> this, the hierarchic xsd schema does not allow that, it only allows
>> ComputingEndpoints to be nested within ComputingServices.
>
> Also to answer that part, that is the way the schema was defined - if
> you have Endpoints which belong to a ComputingService they are
> ComputingEndpoints even if their type isn't directly related to
> computing, e.g. gridftp. But all the extra attributes in
> ComputingEndpoint are optional so it makes no practical difference,
> you can publish the same attributes as a plain Endpoint but give it
> the ComputingEndpoint type.
>
> Stephen

Yes I will probably do that as there's no other choice at the moment.

However is just sad, since the GLUE2 model document says on
ComputingEndpoint: "The class represents an endpoint which is used to
create, control and monitor computational activities" that is in a way
scoping what kind of capability the endpoint should offer.

For example a typical non-computing endpoint would be a Delegation
endpoint that and has nothing to do with creation, monitoring and
computation IMHO.

In principle it would nicer to have an independent Delegation
Service with its Endpoint. But then how do I know that the specific
Delegation Service can only be used by one of my Services?

--
Florido Paganelli
Lund University - Particle Physics