[glue-wg] GLUE 2.0 attributes for usage inside JSDL

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at egi.eu
Wed Sep 21 05:38:41 CDT 2011

Dear Etienne et Al.,

The issue of JSDL/GLUE integration was touched few times in the past.
If the use case is to express requirements on GLUE-based information,
I consider the approach taken in JSDL 1.0 not suitable for a more
complex set of information such as coming from GLUE.

When selecting a computing service for instance, you may want to
express requirements on the characteristics of the endpoint, of the
execution environment, of the application environment and on the
share. For each computing service, you may have many instances of the
subcomponents, but not all are associated. E.g. a certain computing
share is defined on top of 2 of the 5 execution environments, so you
need to match requirements on the execEnv, on the share and the fact
that the two are "in relationships".

In the past, we have discussed to have the option to express
requirements using an XQuery expression embedded in the JSDL. While
this is a generic approach and would make JSDL not depended on GLUE
terms (which is a good option as giving more flexibility), it has the
drawback of having the need to write queries that may be complex. To
mitigate this, you could think about letting the users express
requirements with a simple descriptive format from which a query can
be generated automatically.

See section 5.3 of this document as an example of XQuery expression
based on an XML document describing computing resources based on a
preliminary draft of GLUE 2 back in 2008:
http://www.ggf.org/documents/GFD.137.pdf

My recommendation is, before to make any final choice, test the
solution on production use cases to verify the suitability.

Kind regards, Sergio

On 21 September 2011 11:27, Etienne URBAH <urbah at lal.in2p3.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, 20/09/2011 17:09, Etienne URBAH wrote:
>>
>> Michael,
>>
>> Concerning the GLUE 2.0 attributes for usage inside JSDL, I suggest to
>> look at following pages :
>>
>> http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.pgi-wg/wiki/ReqJD3
>>

>> http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/docman/do/downloadDocument/projects.pgi-wg/docman.root.input_documents/doc16166/1
>>

>> Best regards.

>> Etienne URBAH LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
>> Bat 200 91898 ORSAY France
>> Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87 Skype: etienne.urbah
>> Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27 mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr

Sergio Andreozzi - Policy Development Manager - EGI.eu
http://www.egi.eu - skype:sergio.andreozzi.egi