[glue-wg] slides from the OGF GLUE session

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at egi.eu
Fri Oct 29 04:53:44 CDT 2010

Dear all,

in the GLUE session page you can find the link to the presentations folder:
http://www.ogf.org/gf/event_schedule/?id=2108
the session was very positive and relevant activities about GLUE 2.0
adoption from LCG and TeraGrid were presented.

Up to the end of the year, we will focus our energies on finalizing all the
renderings and documents to be sent for public comments.

The PGI working group refined the set of requirements they will address in
their activities (
http://www.ogf.org/pipermail/pgi-wg/2010-October/000940.html) and the usage
of GLUE 2.0 for both advertising resource capabilities from the service side
and expressing requirements on them in the client side (JSDL) plays a key
role. In the rendering of the XML Schema we should also evaluate how this
impacts the requirements expression.

A bit of insight on this: the current JSDL envisions a number of terms on
which to express requirements. They are part of the JSDL specification
therefore binding the resource description to the job description. A couple
of years ago, in an OGF joint session (http://bit.ly/byqg5T), we discussed
the idea of separating them in order to easy the evolution of resource
models independently from JSDL. Requirements are usually expressed as
constraints on resource properties, therefore the idea was to enable to
express them as XPath/XQuery expressions on the resource description. An
example is given in Section 5.3 of this OGF document:
http://ogf.org/documents/GFD.137.pdf

This is a relevant topic and contributions are very welcome.

Other areas of evolution for the activity (after we finalize the renderings)
are:
- collaborate in the definition of a common information service interface
(see presentations from JP Navarro on IIS)
- collaborate with the fresh new ARI WG to support them in defining an
Instrument data model

All the best, Sergio

--
Sergio Andreozzi - Policy Development Manager
EGI.eu - Amsterdam - The Netherlands - http://egi.eu