[glue-wg] GLUE for describing resource requests (use case DGSI)

Mikael Högqvist hoegqvist at zib.de
Thu Nov 18 05:27:22 CST 2010

Hi,

I'm working in the DGSI project (a German D-Grid project) where our
goal is to design and implement an interoperability framework between
community schedulers and community bound resources. More specifically,
this include protocols and services for delegation of activities as
well as resources. We are primarily basing our protocols on OGF
standards and recommendations and have tight collaboration with both
the GRAAP (WS-Agreement/Negotiation) and DCI-Fed working groups within
OGF.

In the first information model we decided to use GLUE 2.0 for both
resource descriptions and resource request specification. However
describing resource requests with GLUE turned out to be difficult to
implement. The main issue that we have is the restrictions in the GLUE
2.0 XML schema which makes it difficult to use only specific
elements/group of elements in a document instance.

For example, we would like to use the AccessPolicy element to describe
requirements on who (e.g. DN/VO) is authorized to access a delegated
resource. But to use this element, we need to create the entire
hierarchy with Service/ComputingService/ComputingEndpoint and their
respective required elements (e.g. ID, QualityLevel, ...) when using
the GLUE 2.0 XSD.

Currently, our solution is to use JSDL for specifying both activity
and resource delegation requests. However, JSDL is not sufficient for
all our use cases/requirements and we would like to use GLUE for
specifying resource requests in our next version.

Is there any work going on in the glue-wg to make the XSD rendering
more lenient towards other use cases such as resource requirement
specification? Or making it possible to use a subset of GLUE and
combine it with other info models such as JSDL?

Thank you in advance and Best Regards,
Mikael Högqvist