[glue-wg] GLUE for describing resource requests (use case DGSI)

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at egi.eu
Thu Nov 18 07:43:05 CST 2010

Hi Alexander,

the final XSD for GLUE 2.0 is expected by the end of the year.

Concerning the integration with JSDL for resource requirements matching,
this is still open to debate and falls in the area of PGI work.

Nevertheless, the topic has been touched few times in the past. I can
provide my vision:

the current JSDL envisions a number of terms to be used to express
requirements on resources. They are part of the JSDL specification therefore
binding the resource description to the job description. A couple of years
ago, in an OGF joint session (http://bit.ly/byqg5T), we discussed the idea
of separating them in order to easy the evolution of resource
models independently from JSDL. Requirements are usually expressed as
constraints on resource properties, therefore the idea could be to enable to
express them as XPath/XQuery expressions on the resource description. An
example is given in Section 5.3 of this OGF document:
http://ogf.org/documents/GFD.137.pdf

Expressing requirements as constraints on a resource description is the
approach in place since years in the ClassAd language and its gLite JDL
derivation. XPath/XQuery can be a translation into an XML world.

Cheers, Sergio

--
Sergio Andreozzi - Policy Development Manager
EGI.eu - Amsterdam - The Netherlands - http://egi.eu