[glue-wg] Adopting a GLUE2 XML Schema?

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Jun 23 07:52:27 CDT 2010

Hi Sergio, GLUE-group,

what is the current status of the XML renderings?  AFAICS, there has
not been much activity after OGF28 - is that a sign of lacking
interest and/or resources to finish the schema, or is there work
done in the background?

I guess the same question holds for the other planned renderings
(LDAP, others?) - but several groups at OGF, in particular JSDL,
would greatly benefit from a normative GLUE-2.0 XML schema.

Greeting from OGF29,

  your friendly AD.

Quoting [Sergio Andreozzi] (Oct 15 2009):

> Hello Balazs et al,
>
> I apologize for the long silence on this list. We'll try to finalize
> the XML Schema rendering by the end of the year.
>
> As far as I remember the arguments pro/con the two versions of the
> schema were:
>
> 1. Sergio/Balazs: hierarchical version
> pro: better readability, easier to query based on branch selection,
> exploits hierarchical nature of XML in natural way
> con: aggregating info from different info providers needs more care
>
> 2. TeraGrid/Warren: flat version
> pro: easier to aggregate bits of XML from different info provider
> con: less readable, does not exploit hierarch nature of XML
>
> in theory there is no reason for not having both; the important is
> that all the classes/attributes and relationships are represented;
> nevertheless, having one version improves chances for data exchange
> without further processing.
> At this point in time, probably it is better to go ahead with both and
> collect the experience. Based on this, adopters will make their on
> choice.
>

> Cheers, Sergio
>

> On 02/ott/09, at 17:27, Balazs Konya wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > The completion of the glue2 specification in terms of updating (re-
> > defining?)
> > the renderings is still a pending issue. We have released the model
> > but not yet
> > the renderings.
> >
> > I am happy to see that few groups started to work in this direction.
> >
> > Let me point you to our wiki page where the different attempts are
> > collected:
> >
> > http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.glue-wg/wiki/GLUE2XMLSchema
> >
> > (linked from main glue wiki under Realizations to Concrete Data
> > models)
> >
> > Within nordugrid we have also worked a bit on the xml schema, more
> > or less
> > updated it to match the final specification. You can find the
> > nordugrid version
> > of the glue 2 xml schema here:
> >
> > http://svn.nordugrid.org/trac/nordugrid/browser/arc1/trunk/doc/tech_doc/infosys/GLUE2.xsd
> >
> > and here is an example xml document based on that schema describing
> > nordugrid
> > resources:
> >
> > http://svn.nordugrid.org/trac/nordugrid/browser/arc1/trunk/doc/tech_doc/infosys/nordugrid_domain.xml
> >
> > Before the summer i started a discussion with Sergio about the xml
> > rendering
> > update, we wanted to start/speed up the rendering work a bit.
> > Unfortunately,
> > lots of other thing slowed down the idea.
> >
> > All in all, I agree with Stephen that it has to be a community effort.
> > I guess it is time to schedule for phone calls related to the xml
> > rendering.
> >
> > bye,
> > Balazs Konya
> >
> > --

> [...]