[glue-wg] Placeholder for IDs?

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 09:51:54 CDT 2009

Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
> Well, if we're talking GLUE 2.0, then IDs are URIs, so
> section A.11 (page 64) should apply.

Hmm, I see a can of worms opening here :) Basic question, are our IDs
supposed to have a scheme, and if so what? So far I've assumed that the
URI spec doesn't require one:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2396#appendix-A

Anyway I don't entirely see that A.11 helps since the placeholders vary
depending on the scheme.

  In this particular case we have an extra few worms since the
UserDomain ID is (probably) going to be the VO name, and things like
UNDEFINED or UNDEFINEDVALUE are in fact valid VO names, albeit they
would be a bit eccentric. You might object that they aren't especially
unique, but then nor is "atlas" ... in EGEE I suspect we will avoid all
this by the simple expedient of ignoring UserDomains completely, but
unfortunately the schema currently marks the UserDomain relation as
mandatory so you're forced to have the reference even if there is not,
and will never be, an object to refer to!

Stephen

PS You could have a similar problem with the AdminDomainID - I doubt
that there will be a site called UNDEFINED but again there is probably
nothing to say that it isn't allowed.