[glue-wg] Adopting a GLUE2 XML Schema?

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at cnaf.infn.it
Thu Oct 15 13:31:01 CDT 2009

Hello Balazs et al,

I apologize for the long silence on this list. We'll try to finalize
the XML Schema rendering by the end of the year.

As far as I remember the arguments pro/con the two versions of the
schema were:

1. Sergio/Balazs: hierarchical version
pro: better readability, easier to query based on branch selection,
exploits hierarchical nature of XML in natural way
con: aggregating info from different info providers needs more care

2. TeraGrid/Warren: flat version
pro: easier to aggregate bits of XML from different info provider
con: less readable, does not exploit hierarch nature of XML

in theory there is no reason for not having both; the important is
that all the classes/attributes and relationships are represented;
nevertheless, having one version improves chances for data exchange
without further processing.
At this point in time, probably it is better to go ahead with both and
collect the experience. Based on this, adopters will make their on
choice.

Cheers, Sergio