[glue-wg] Adopting a GLUE2 XML Schema?

David Horat david.horat at cern.ch
Fri Oct 2 08:17:22 CDT 2009

Dear colleagues,

Whether you choose a flat structure or a hierarchy, the important fact is
that you query the system using the Foreign Keys instead of the structure
itself, so we ensure compatibility between the different data systems
implemented.

Regards,
David

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Warren Smith <wsmith at tacc.utexas.edu> wrote:

> We were in the same position as you are on TeraGrid, which is why we
> defined our own schema. If you'd like to use the TeraGrid schema, I'd be
> happy to answer any questions you have about it. Also feel free to take
> it and modify it as you like.
>
> Of course, the TeraGrid GLUE 2 XML Schema isn't a standard and I can't
> say how similar it will be to an official OGF GLUE 2 XML Schema. In
> fact, one warning I'd give about the TeraGrid schema is that we chose a
> flat hierarchy of XML elements in that schema (e.g. ComputeActivity is a
> sibling of ComputeShare instead of a child of ComputeShare). The last
> discussions I remember seeing on the GLUE working group list seemed to
> have more people favoring a deeper hierarchy...
>

> Warren
>

> Steve Crouch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Grimoires, the OMII-UK service discovery implementation, currently
> > supports GLUE 1.3, but we wish to update this to support an XML schema
> > rendering of GLUE2.  Given that there isn't currently an up-to-date XML
> > schema for GLUE2 from the WG, we were wondering how best to proceed.
> > We're aware that there is an XML schema developed by TeraGrid - would
> > this be an appropriate way forward until one is developed within the WG?
> >
> > Any advice gratefully received!
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Steve Crouch

David Horat
Software Engineer – IT/GD – Grid Deployment Group
CERN – European Organization for Nuclear Research » Where the web was born
Address: 1211 Geneva - Switzerland, Office: 28/R-003
Phone +41 22 76 77996
Fax +41 22 76 68178 (fax to email service)
Web: http://cern.ch/horat
Web: http://davidhorat.com/
Profile: http://linkedin.com/in/davidhorat