[glue-wg] XML schema for GLUE 2.0

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at cnaf.infn.it
Tue May 12 06:04:38 CDT 2009

Hi Warren,

I'm coming back to this issue and I'd like to better clarify the
rationale behind the design strategy of the XSD mapping we provided,
which is described in this document:
http://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/doc15514

Have a look at section 3.1.5.

- we opted to reflect the natural hierarchical structure of information
when possible; this simplifies query, e.g.:
"I want all the information concerning a certain computing service";
this can be answered with a simple XPath expression

- we require the full-hierarchy to be always present because this offers
the same structure of information either if you query a primary source
of information or an aggregator service;
the same query will work in both situations

- we enable anyway to publish fragments of info; you need to publish the
hierarchy anyway and if you do not know the ID of the upper entities,
you can put UNKNOWN

I feel that your approach is more suitable for a back-end generation and
aggregation strategy, while the above approach is more suited for
exposing the info to consumers.

Do you have experience in complex query from the information represented
using your approach?
You may want to compare it to the use case provided in this document:

http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.137.pdf

it would be useful to better understand pro and cons.

Cheers, Sergio