[glue-wg] 1st Draft of the GLUE 2.0 LDAP Implementation

Burke, S (Stephen) stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Apr 16 07:15:28 CDT 2009

glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of
David Horat said:
> I just commited my first draft, which does not include any foreign
keys. You can check it at our SVN:
	http://forge.ogf.org/svn/repos/glue/LDAP2/

OK, the second general question that I haven't noticed being discussed
is how we structure the DIT. Your example objects seem to just have e.g.
"dn: EntityId=testExecutionEnvironment,o=grid" which isn't really
viable! As I've mentioned in the past I think there may be a good case
for saying that we don't require a given DIT structure, or at least
allow some degree of flexibility to restructure it. Since every object
now has an ID I think it's possible to say that objects should always be
referenced by ID and not DN - which also relates to the ChunkKey
question. However, even if we take that view we should clearly have some
recommended structure (or structures).

  A specific question for me is whether we want to introduce some extra
dummy object(s) to allow for grouping. At the moment we group by site,
but everything below that is basically flat, so e.g. at CERN you have
110 GlueService objects hanging off the mds-vo-name=CERN-PROD node - and
4473 objects in total! If we group by Service object with other things
below that then the structure will improve, but there may still be quite
a number of Services, so I think it could be useful to introduce some
kind of ServiceGroup object which would allow related services to be
grouped together. You can get the same kind of thing at lower levels -
an obvious example is that there could be a very large number of
ComputingActivity objects, so at the very least you might want to group
them all under a dedicated node and not have them hanging directly off
ComputingService.

  We also have a particular problem with the UserDomain object, which
doesn't really fit with the current site-based publishing model. Who
would we expect to publish that information, and where would they put it
in the tree?