[glue-wg] More comments on the draft spec.

Burke, S (Stephen) S.Burke at rl.ac.uk
Fri May 16 11:31:40 CDT 2008

glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org
> [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Paul Millar said:
> So, it seems we have a requirement for IDs or LocalIDs to be
> persistent over
> time.  This should be stated somewhere, probably in section 3

You're right. For UniqueIDs there may be other requirements, because
they may be stored in external services like catalogues or databases
(e.g. consider the site names, which start in the GOCDB and propagate
all over the place - not trivial to change).

> It's a little unclear why we have both StorageAccessProtocol and
> StorageEndpoint since StorageEndpoint can represent access protocols.

Well, it isn't entirely obvious that StorageEndpoint *can* represent
APs, that was one of my questions ... but in any case for SRM the
protocol endpoints would normally not be published because you don't use
them directly, you're supposed to ask the SRM for a TURL. However, you
would still like to have the list of protocol types which are supported.
Also there could be other complications, for example an SE might have a
gridftp server for reasons other than it being an accessprotocol (e.g.
the CE currently has one to allow RTE tags to be published ...)