[glue-wg] GLUE 2.0 Specification - draft 41 - Working Group LastCall

Burke, S (Stephen) S.Burke at rl.ac.uk
Fri May 16 11:19:55 CDT 2008

Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
> Name has different multiplicity in different entities.  Apart
> from the few
> entities that don't have a Name property, for Location it's a
> required property.

I don't think there's a strong reason for that, I guess it was just that
Location info would normally be used in some kind of display so a Name
would be quite useful.

> Actually, I was going to argue against this change (sorry
> Stephen): a single
> key with multiple values may be logically distinguishable
> from multiple
> attributes with the same key (although LDAP doesn't allow
> this distinction, XML does).

Well, OK, but then I'd wonder if you were trying to express semantics
that would end up being technology-dependent ... the basic point is that
in LDAP there is no ordering for multivalued attributes, so you can't
think of them as columns in a table. Also any multivalued attribute
creates a mess in a relational implementation so we should avoid them if
possible.

> In fact, if anything, I would change the multiplicity of
> Value to (1..*).  If
> Value isn't specified, the Key could be represented as an
> OtherInfo attribute in the corresponding Glue entity.

Yes.