[glue-wg] TmpDir, ScratchDir and DataDir

JP Navarro navarro at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 8 10:05:43 CDT 2008

Sergio,

I disagree. A remote user wanting to submit and run a job has to know
something about the execution environment in order to even be able to
use TmpDir, ScratchDir, and DataDir.  First, even if they send a probe
job to discover those paths, what will the job look at to discover these
directories?  Some environment variable that points to these
directories,
or something else? What environment variable does it look it? Are we
implying some other environment variable standard so that it can
discover
these paths?

BTW, we have talked about standard execution environment variables,
which
I think is a good thing, but I believe GLUE should be flexible enough to
allow remove users to discover these paths even when standard variables
aren't there. I don't see a reason to tie GLUE to standard environments.

The TeraGrid users standard environment variables, AND we're going to
publish the paths those variables point to thru information services so
that users can construct jobs that use these paths (without launching
probe jobs).

Regards,

JP