[glue-wg] feedback on storage entities

Maarten.Litmaath at cern.ch Maarten.Litmaath at cern.ch
Sat Mar 29 22:51:00 CDT 2008

Ciao Sergio,

> * For Storage Share
> 1- add a shared attribute in the storage share which type is boolean;
> for "shared" shares, the value should be true
> 2- add an AggregationLocalID attribute; for the "shared" shares within
> the same storage service, this attribute should be assigned with the
> same value
>
> in this way, we avoid the creation of one more level of hierarchy and
> potential visualization tools which want to show a summary info can
> avoid double counting by checking the two attributes that we propose

So, you would publish such a shared Share multiple times, once per VO.
Each such instance then gives a VO view of that Share.  I do not see a
problem for the info provider to cook up the correct values for the
boolean flag and the AggregationLocalID, but I do note that compared
to the proposal by Felix we lose some functionality: if each of the
VOs has a _quota_ in the Share, we would publish that number as, say,
its online TotalSize --> this means we no longer have the _physical_
TotalSize of the Share published anywhere.  Maybe not a big loss...

> * For Storage Environment:
> when we mapped the current model to our T1 use case, we found out that
> the storage environment is homogeneous; therefore there is not need (at
> least for our scenario) to have the capacity to be associated to the
> storage environment; the attributes of the storage capacity can be added
> to the storage environment

An Environment can have both online and nearline components, and we would
like to be able to publish sizes for both: if the sizes are incorporated,
we have to put Online and Nearline in their names, like in GLUE 1.3.
Fine with me, but I thought there were objections against that?

> * For Storage Resource:
> since information about free/used/total/reserved space is provided by
> the storage environment, we could avoid to have summary info at the
> storage resource level; information consumer can aggregate it

The assumption then is that Environments will not overlap: probably OK.

> If the above considerations fit the use cases of other partners, then
> the storage capacity would be related only to the storage share.

I think we should handle sizes the same way for Share and Environment:
either incorporate them, or have them in Capacity objects.

> As regards the today agenda, I removed the following issues since they
> do not properly reflect our scenario .
>
> ** consequence of overlapping StorageResource entities
> *** GPFS 3.1 and GPFS 3.2 share same disks
> *** if wished to be expressed explicitly -> each GPFS is represented as
> own StorageResource
> *** BUT then : a higher aggregation of capacity numbers muster be given
> in the service (again: if wished)
> *** OR (easier): express GPFS 3.1 and 3.2 in OtherInfo field
>
> in our mapping choice, we have decided to model the three storage
> systems managed by GPFS 3.1, GPFS 3.2 and TSM respectively using the
> storage environment concept. They do not logically overlap. (See here

Note: you do not publish the actual implementation names and versions,
which we want at least for WLCG (see below).

Furthermore, as far as WLCG is concerned you cannot build your T1D1
setup out of a replica-online and a custodial-nearline Environment!

In WLCG combinations of RetentionPolicy and AccessLatency have _extra_
meaning that cannot be deduced from those attributes.

Such combinations are called Storage Classes:

    Custodial-Nearline == T1D0 --> disk managed by system
    Custodial-Online   == T1D1 --> disk managed by client
    Replica-Online     == T0D1 --> disk managed by client

A Storage Class always has disk, i.e an online component, while the
Custodial classes also have tape or some other high quality storage;
if it is tape/dvd/... there is a corresponding nearline component.

What is more, the disk component is managed by the system for T1D0,
while it is managed by the client (VO) for T1D1 and T0D1.

WLCG needs to have it clear from the schema which Storage Class applies
to a particular Share.

In principle one could come up with this rule:

    Custodial-Nearline + Replica-Online == Custodial-Online

    T1D0               + T0D1           == T1D1

But then a client that is interested in T1D1 has to query for Shares
that either are linked to a Custodial-Online Environment, or linked
to a Custodial-Nearline _and_ a Replica-Online Environment: not nice!

Furthermore, a client interested in T1D0 (T0D1) has to ensure that
the matching Shares are _not_ also linked to T0D1 (T1D0).

I would quite prefer having a Share always linked to a _single_
Environment, which itself will have an online component and may also
have a nearline component.

If we want to have separate implementation names and versions for
those components, it would seem natural to introduce the split at
the Resource level instead: an Environment can be linked to an online
Resource (e.g. with GPFS 3.2) and a nearline Resource (TSM X.Y.Z).

Whichever way, we would like to publish such back-end implementation
names and versions explicitly.  Flavia has a use case: the name and
version of the back-end storage system should be available, such that
it can be deduced from the information system which sites are likely
to suffer from which open issues.  This is important information for
debugging operational problems in WLCG (and other grids).

> http://glueman.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/glueman/tags/glue-xsd/draft-29/examples/AdminDomain_CNAF.xml?revision=27)
> In our scenario, we have one global storage resource composed by three
> storage environments.
>
> As a final comment, my opinion is that we should privilege simplicity
> and the meta-scheduling use cases more than the monitoring ones. If we
> do not manage to converge shortly on a common vision for the storage
> resource/storage environment, we should probably postpone the definition
> of these entities to a future GLUE  revision and concentrate on the
> storage endpoint/storage share consolidation.

I still think we are approaching convergence.
Thanks,
	Maarten