[glue-wg] Characterizing computing capacity in heterogeneous environment - the Amazon approach

Laurence Laurence.Field at cern.ch
Wed Jan 30 08:49:32 CST 2008

hi Sergio,

I really like the concept of "Compute Unit". It is both descriptive and
ambiguous. :)  However, they don't address the shared memory problem.

I also like the comment "to find out which instance will work best for
your application, the best thing to do is to launch an instance and
benchmark your own application."  This suggests that we should give
brief descriptions and if you really want to know details you should
submit a "probe".  I think that this is very important to remember, we
are describing the resource but don't guarantee what is there and should
give only high level descriptions to "steer" workflows. If you need to
know something important which is quite specific to your application,
then you should always run a test job to get the information that is
important to you.

Laurence