[glue-wg] RFD, WSRF-RP and GLUE: food for thought [WAS: a new software release: Semantic MDS]

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Thu Jan 3 05:40:39 CST 2008

Happy New Year, everyone!

I received the email below from the semantic grid list.  I haven't explored
the S-MDS package beyond reading the documentation on their webpage, but it
looks both interesting and relevant to GLUE.

At the abstract level, this package provides a "semantically" queryable access
(i.e., a SPARQL end-point) to some instance data.  The instance data is
maintained by querying WSRF Resource Properties (RPs).  An overview is
available here:
  http://pages.dbgrid.org/s-mds/dist/doc/background/architecture.htm

[in the diagram, they show RPs as local to the target system.  I guess this is
a deployment decision, so might not be a requirement]

If this package were extended to expose GLUE data, then one could also use the
same SPARQL end-point to query GLUE metadata.

An alternative approach would be to define an WSRF-RP binding for GLUE.  I've
skimmed through the WSRF-RP spec (v1.2 draft-4) and, given a suitable
GLUE/XML binding, this doesn't look too hard: a simple encapsulation through
a suitable GLUE XML-namespace should work.

The S-MDS package has an "RP/ontology mapping algorithm" that (I believe)
automatically converts the WSRF-RP into some OWL ontology description of the
WSRF-RP.  Provided this mapping algorithm works for GLUE/WSRF-RP (i.e.,
GLUE/XML encapsulated within WSRF-RP SOAP), this should "just work" :-)

This would be an interesting extension of the current work on an XML binding.
Apart from the application within MDS, we might get an RDF/OWL binding for
free!

Cheers,

Paul.