[glue-wg] Thoughts on WLCG storage accounting use-cases

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Fri Dec 19 05:15:07 CST 2008

Hi all,

So, I've been thinking about publishing storage related objects, particularly
with the WLCG accounting use-cases.  One of the use-cases calls for
associating each portion of a storage element to one or more VOs so that
these can be used for per-VO accounting.

In Glue 2.0, this association most naturally follows from instantiating
MappingPolicy objects that act as links between StorageShare objects and
UserDomain objects.

An interesting issue is how to represent a single shared (i.e., multiple VOs
may use) StorageShare.  This can be represented (equivalently) as either:
	a single MappingPolicy object pointing to multiple UserDomain policies
or
	multiple MappingPolicy objects, each pointing to the same
	StorageShare object.  Each MappingPolicy object points to a single
	UserDomain object, but each of these UserDomain objects is different.

(In fact, these two options are two extremes: one could publish a mixture of
these)

Aside: do we *really* need this flexibility?  It seems to create unnecessary
complication for the clients.  We can remove it by changing either the Share:
MappingPolicy.ID multiplicity to "optional" (0..1) or (Mapping)Policy:
UserDomain.ID multiplicity to "required" (1).  The former seems the better
option (IMHO).

We identify which StorageShares are to be used for accounting by selecting
only those StorageShares that are published with a SharingID attribute value
of "dedicated".

The metric values to be used for storage accounting are the attached
StorageShareCapacity objects.

It might be worth adding another optional attribute, to allow accounting for
(temporarily?) off-line storage.  For example, adding:

	UnavaliableSize	UInt64	0..1	GB	Size of storage extent that is
	                            	            	    	    	currently unavailable.

The WLCG InstalledCapacity would then be:
	InstalledCapacity = TotalSize + UnavailableSize

Cheers,

Paul.